Last Updated on February 6, 2023 by israel
Hamsters are slowly becoming one of the top 5 most popular pets, they are friendly nice and easy to train, one major aspect that is important when raising hamsters is feeding. do you own a pet hamster? And are you wondering or asking the question, “can hamsters eat celery?” well, in this blog post, I will be answering that question, and I will also be listing a few vegetables you can feed your hamsters.
Read: Can Hamsters Eat Bananas?
Can Hamsters Eat Celery?
Yes, hamsters can eat celery; celery is an excellent source of nutrients/vitamins, e.g., vitamin A and Vitamin C; for hamsters, celery make a delicious dish for your pet hamsters if served well. Hamsters are known herbivores who feed on several plants, of which celery is inclusive.
Celery is an excellent dish to serve your hamsters. They’ll enjoy it, but you must be mindful not to feed them too much. it is high in water content, which can lead to diarrhea in some hamsters.
Celery is a nutritious and good vegetable that is suitable for hamsters but the stringy texture of celery can be difficult for hamsters to digest, and may lead to intestinal blockages if consumed in large quantities.
READ: Can Hamsters Eat Raspberries?
Can Hamsters Eat Celery Stems?
Yes, celery stems can be eaten by hamsters. The stems are a rich source of fiber and vitamins for hamsters, but they should be given in moderation and sliced into little pieces to avoid choking or stomach problems.
The stems of celery are munchy and crunchy for hamsters. However, they should be eaten carefully and in bits so the stems won’t choke them.
READ: Can Hamsters Eat Blueberries?
Can Hamsters Eat Celery Leaves?
Hamsters can eat celery leaves. The leaves provide vitamins and nutrition to hamsters, but they should be given in moderation.
Celery leaves are more nutritious than celery stems, but they can be stiff and fibrous, making them difficult to digest for some hamsters. It is critical to cut the leaves into little pieces and to keep an eye on your hamster after feeding for any bad signs.
As a matter of fact, it contains most of the essential nutrients and has several functions. It has a different texture and taste that your hamsters will love. The seeds, leaves, roots, and stems are all used for medicinal purposes worldwide.
READ: Can Hamsters Eat Parsley?
What Nutrients Does Celery Contain?
Celery provides various nutrients and vitamins to humans and animals; here are a few of the nutrients that can be found in 100g of celery.
Source: Food Data Central US Department Of Agriculture
- Water (92.5g)
- Potassium (265mg)
- Phosphorous (22mg)
- Calcium (46mg)
- Sodium (97mg)
- Iron (<0.25mg)
- Copper (<0.0025mg)
- Zinc (0.09mg)
There are many more vitamins and nutrients in celery; the list above is just a few.
READ: Can Hamsters Eat Strawberries?
Advantages Of Feeding Celery To Your Hamsters (Health Benefits)
There are many advantages of feeding celery to your hamsters; here are some of the significant health benefits of celery.
- Celery is a low-calorie vegetable high in fiber and vitamins A and C, which can help hamsters maintain a healthy digestive tract and overall well-being.
- Hydration: Because celery contains a lot of water, it can help keep your hamster hydrated and prevent dehydration.
- Chewing celery can help maintain your hamster’s teeth healthy and avoid overgrowth, which is a typical problem in hamsters.
- Enrichment: Introducing new meals, like as celery, can stimulate and enrich your hamster while also preventing boredom.
- Variety: In addition to pellets and seeds, including celery as part of a diverse diet of fresh fruits and vegetables can help ensure your hamster enjoys a well-rounded diet.
- Stronger Bones: celery contains a fair portion of calcium; calcium helps build bones. So celery does help in strengthening the bones of humans and hamsters.
- Stronger Muscles: celery is rich in vitamins and helps build and develop stronger muscles for hamsters and humans.
- Longer Life: Vegetables, celery, in particular, can increase the life span of hamsters because of the additional vitamins that celery provides.
READ: Can Hamsters Eat Raspberries?
Disadvantages of Over Feeding Celery To Your Hamsters
Celery provides a lot of vitamins and nutrients to hamsters. It is very, very dangerous to feed a lot of celery to your hamsters; here are some disadvantages of feeding your hamsters too much celery.
- Stomach Upset: celery contains too many vitamins and nutrients which can cause stomach upset when consumed in much/large quantities.
- Digestibility: The stringy texture of celery can be difficult for certain hamsters to digest, and excessive consumption might lead to intestinal obstructions.
- Diarrhea: Celery contains a lot of water, which can cause diarrhea in some hamsters.
- Some hamsters may have an allergic reaction to celery, resulting in symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, or itching.
- Overconsumption: Feeding celery in big quantities can result in an unbalanced diet and potentially affect your hamster’s health.
There are many other disadvantages of overfeeding your hamster’s celery.
It has a low level of calories. It could make your hamsters lose weight.
It could cause intestinal upsets, GI Stasis, or diarrhea.
It could damage hamsters’ organs and digestive systems if overfed because of its high mineral content.
READ: Can Rabbits Eat Pineapples?
Steps In Feeding A Hamsters Celery
- Select and pick only fresh, ripe celery.
- Wash celery leaves and stems with clean water properly and thoroughly.
- Cut the celery into tiny chewable bits
- Dish on a clean plate or bowl.
Celery must be carefully and thoroughly washed under running water to remove germs, pesticides, herbicides, or wax that may be attached to it. You’re advised to serve celery alongside other green leaves such as cilantro, lettuce, carrot top, spring green, basil, raspberry leaves, and so on. Only give fresh or organic celery to your hamster.
READ: Can Bearded Dragons Eat Mangoes?
How Often Should I Feed My Hamsters celery?
Celery is not a full-course meal for hamsters, hence, they should only be fed about 2 – 3 times a week, unless it’s served alongside other green leaves or plants. Beware of overfeeding your hamster dragons with celery could be toxic.
The recommended amount of celery for your hamsters is 1 cup of chopped 5-6 different types of leafy greens per 2 pounds of hamster’s body weight.
What Fruits Can I Feed My hamsters?
Hamsters can eat a variety of fruits, these fruits should be consumed moderately and not too much, these fruits and vegetables offer a variety of nutrients to hamsters. some of the fruits your hamsters can eat include
Your hamster’s Main Meals Should Consist More Of Green Vegetables!
|4. Supports dental health||Chewing on celery can help keep your hamster’s teeth healthy and prevent overgrowth.|
|5. Provides stimulation and enrichment||Offering new foods, such as celery, can provide stimulation and enrichment for your hamster and prevent boredom.|
|6. Stringy texture||The stringy texture of celery can be difficult for some hamsters to digest, and may lead to intestinal blockages.|
|7. Potential for diarrhea||Celery is high in water content, which can lead to diarrhea in some hamsters.|
|8. Potential for allergic reactions||Some hamsters may have an allergic reaction to celery, causing symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, or itching.|
|9. Overconsumption||If fed in large quantities, celery can lead to an unbalanced diet and potentially harm your hamster’s health.|
|10. Observe for negative symptoms||It is important to observe your hamster for any negative symptoms after feeding celery and to consult with a veterinarian if necessary.|
Conclusion On Can Hamsters Eat celery?
Hamsters can eat celery; celery is an excellent source of nutrients/vitamins, e.g., vitamin K and Vitamin A; for hamsters, celery make a delicious dish for your pet hamsters if served well. Hamsters are known herbivores who feed on several plants, of which celery is inclusive.
Celery is a good choice of meal for your hamsters, as it is completely safe for it, provided eaten in moderation. All parts of the celery plant are safe to eat; stem, leaf, and in all manners; vegetable, spice or garnish. However, you should start with just a sprig of celery for the first time and observe your hamsters for negative effects or indigestion, otherwise, you can increase its intake by a little.
This post was written by Israel for Animals district