Last Updated on November 18, 2022 by israel
Hi guys, do you own a pet hamster? And are you wondering or asking the question, “can hamsters eat strawberries?” well, in this blog post, I will be answering that question, and I will also be listing a few fruits you can feed your hamsters.
Can Hamsters Eat Strawberries?
Besides the fact that strawberries contain a lot of vitamins and provide a lot of nutrition to hamsters, it is also essential to know that hamsters enjoy eating strawberries.
Strawberries can serve as a great side dish for your hamsters, they would love it, but you should be careful not to feed them too much.
Can Baby Hamster Eat Strawberries?
They can, but they shouldn’t eat many Strawberries. They should eat tiny quantities. Too many Strawberries can be harmful to your baby hamsters. It can lead to constipation or stomach upset.
READ: Can Hamsters Eat Celery?
Can Hamsters Eat Strawberries Leaves?
Hamsters can eat strawberry leaves in tiny quantities, but feeding them to your hamsters is not recommended. strawberry leaves have little nutritional value and contain oxalates harmful to hamsters.
However, some people allow their hamsters to eat the leaves of strawberries, but vet doctors don’t recommend it.
What Nutrients Do Strawberries Contain?
Strawberries offer a variety of nutrients and vitamins to both humans and animals here are a few of the nutrients that can be found in 100g of strawberries.
- Vitamin C (21mg)
- Fiber (5.3g)
- Sugar (4.8 g)
- Iron (0.62mg)
- Potassium (162mg)
- Phosphorous (22mg)
- Calcium (29mg)
There are many more vitamins and nutrients in strawberries the above list is just a few of them.
Advantages Of Feeding Strawberries To Your hamsters (Health Benefits)
There are many health benefits of feeding strawberries to your hamsters; here are some of the significant health benefits of feeding strawberries to your hamsters.
- Stronger Muscles: strawberries are rich in vitamins and help build and develop stronger muscles for hamsters and humans.
- Stronger Bones: strawberries contain a fair portion of calcium. Calcium helps build bones. So strawberries do help in strengthening the bones of humans and hamsters.
- Longer Life: Fruits, in particular, can increase the life span of hamsters because of the additional vitamins that strawberries provide.
- Prevents Constipation: It helps to prevent constipation because of the water and fiber content.
Disadvantages of OverFeeding Strawberries To Your hamsters.
In as much as strawberries provide a lot of vitamins and nutrients to hamsters, it is very, very dangerous to feed a lot of strawberries to your hamsters; here are some of the disadvantages of providing your hamsters with too many strawberries.
- Stomach Upset: strawberries contain too much sugar and citric acid, which can cause stomach upset when consumed in much/large quantities.
- Stooling: Your hamsters can start frequently stooling whenever it consumes too many strawberries.
There are many other disadvantages of overfeeding your hamster’s strawberries.
Preparation Of Strawberries for hamsters.
You can use the following guide to prepare strawberries for your hamsters.
- Select good riped strawberries.
- Wash the strawberries with clean water.
- Remove the stems of the strawberries as this part is not recommended to be given (fed) to hamsters.
- Smash strawberries; you can dice the strawberries in small bits or chips (Optional)
- Make sure to remove the strawberry leaves when feeding your hamsters.
How Often Should I Feed My hamsters Strawberries?
For Adult Hamsters:
You can feed adult hamsters strawberries twice a week, It shouldn’t exceed this number to reduce the risk of overfeeding.
READ: Can Rabbits Eat Cilantro
For Young Hamsters:
You should feed young or baby hamsters strawberries once a week so as not to cause stomach upset for them.
What Fruits Can I Feed My hamsters?
Hamsters can eat a variety of fruits, these fruits should be consumed moderately and not too much, some of the fruits your hamsters can eat include
Your hamster’s Main Meals Should Consist More Of Green Vegetables!
Conclusion On Can hamsters Eat Strawberries?
From this blog post, we can say that the answer to the question “Can Hamster Eat Strawberries?” is Yes, hamsters can eat strawberries. Strawberries are rich in vitamins, e.g., vitamin C and Vitamin k, which are beneficial to hamsters. It is essential to know that excess consumption of strawberries can harm your hamster since strawberries are rich in sugar and fruity acid.
Strawberries provide lots of nutrients and vitamins but should be fed moderately to your hamsters.
This post was written by Israel for Animals District.