Last Updated on November 18, 2022 by israel
Hi lovers and owners of guinea pigs, have you been wondering or asking the question ” Can Guinea Pigs Eat Cabbage?” Well in this article i’d be answering that question and i’d also be telling you the advantages and disadvantages of feeding cabbage to guinea pigs.
Can guinea pigs Eat Cabbage?
Apart from the fact that cabbage contain a lot of vitamins and provide a lot of nutrition to guinea pigs, it is also essential to know that guinea pigs actually love eating cabbages.
Cabbage can serve as a great side dish for your guinea pigs, they would love it but you should be careful not to feed them too much.
Can guinea pigs Eat Purple Cabbage?
Yes, guinea pigs can eat Purple cabbage, purple cabbage provides a large variety of nutrients similar to that of green cabbages, they provide the same nutrients and advantages to guinea pigs the only difference is the colour.
Can guinea pigs Eat Red Cabbage?
Yes, guinea pigs can eat red cabbage, red cabbage provides a large variety of nutrients similar to that of green cabbages, they provide the same nutrients and advantages to guinea pigs the only difference is the colour.
Can guinea pigs Eat cabbage Leaves?
Yes, guinea pigs can eat cabbage leaves, however, they should eat them moderately. cabbage leaves contain a high amount of calcium so they should be eaten moderately. Ensure the cabbage leaves you feed to your guinea pigs are clean and haven’t been sprayed with insecticides.
What Nutrients Do cabbage Contain?
Cabbage offer a variety of nutrients and vitamins to both humans and animals (guinea pigs in particular) here are a few of the nutrients that can be found in 100g of cabbage.
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin K
There are many more vitamins and nutrients in cabbages the above list is just a few of them.
Advantages Of Feeding Your guinea pigs cabbages (Health Benefits)
There are many health benefits of feeding cabbages to your guinea pigs, here are some of the major health benefits of feeding cabbages to your guinea pigs.
- It aids digestion.
- It increases blood flow.
- It builds white blood cells.
- It strengthens the heart.
- Stronger Muscles: Cabbages are rich in fibre and they help build and develop stronger muscles for our guinea pigs and human in general.
- Stronger Bones: Cabbage contain a fair portion of calcium, calcium helps build the bones. so cabbage do help in strengthening the bones of humans and guinea pigs.
- Longer Life: Vegetables, cabbage in particular can increase the lifespan of a guinea pig because of the additional vitamins that cabbage provide.
Disadvantages of OverFeeding cabbage To Your guinea pigs
In as much as cabbages provide a lot of vitamins and nutrients to guinea pigs, it is very very dangerous to feed a lot of cabbages to your guinea pigs, here are some of the disadvantages of feeding your guinea pigs too many cabbages.
- Stomach Upset: cabbage leaves contain too much calcium which can cause stomach upset when consumed in much/large quantities.
- Stooling: Your guinea pig can start stooling frequently whenever it consumes too many cabbages.
Steps In Feeding A guinea pigs cabbage.
- Select and pick only fresh, cabbages.
- Wash cabbages properly and thoroughly.
- You can cut the cabbages into tiny chewable bits
- Dish on a clean plate or bowl.
Conclusion On Can guinea pigs Eat cabbages?
From this blog post, we can say that the answer to the question “Can Guinea Pigs Eat Cabbages?” is Yes, guinea pigs can eat cabbages, cabbages provide a large variety of nutrients, e.g., vitamins A and C to guinea pigs, and guinea pigs enjoy eating them. It is essential to know that cabbages should be fed to them in moderate quantities.
Cabbages provide lots of nutrients and vitamins but should be fed moderately to your guinea pigs.
This post was written by Israel for Animals district