Last Updated on November 18, 2022 by israel
Hi guys, do you own a pet duck? And are you wondering or asking the question, “can ducks eat apples?” well, in this blog post, I will be answering that question, and I will also be listing a few fruits you can feed your ducks.
Can Ducks Eat Apples?
The natural diet of ducks is relatively large. And YES, ducks can eat apples, as long as they are properly cut into small slices to enable easy consumption. The nutritious content of the fruit is healthy for your ducks to a certain extent. You need to be really careful as they cannot eat the seeds of the apple.
This is so because the seeds contain a substance called amygdalin. Amygdalin, when chewed and digested, turns into cyanide in the gut. It’s such a small amount to typically not be harmful to humans, however, ducks are much smaller than humans and it could be worse for them.
Some sources claim that the whole core itself is too hard for your duck to properly digest, so it may be best to avoid feeding it to your duck. Apples in large pieces could get stuck and lodged in your duck’s throat, depending on how zealously he eats.
Usually, ducks will just peck at the apple pieces until it’s small enough to swallow whole, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.
With all this in mind, apples and other sugary fruits should definitely be the minority of your duck’s diet. Stick to fruity treats as 10% of the duck’s diet per day to keep him happy and healthy.
Can ducks eat apple leaves?
Yes, your ducks can eat the leaves of the plant, however, it’s best to limit the number of other vegetables like corn, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. and only feed those treats once the ducks have filled up on their regular feed.
You either want to feed them very large pieces they can work on over time, or pieces small enough that they won’t choke on them. And like chickens, ducks can suffer from impacted crops from eating long lengths of fibrous materials, so the leaves and such should be cut into short pieces before feeding.
The nutritional value of apples to your adorable pet.
Apples are delicious and nutritious feeds that supply the ducks with nutrients such as calcium, vitamin c, and phosphorus which are ideal for strong bones, feathers, and skins.
They also contain a powerful antioxidant that helps boost the immune system of the birds so they do not fall sick or catch any diseases easily.
Health benefits of feeding apples to your ducks.
- Vitamin A – This particular vitamin is very good for the eyesight of the beds. This is because vitamin A supports good eyesight and if the birds are deficient in a vitamin it, this might lead to blindness. And you know ducks have very good eyesight.
Vitamin A also helps support the immune system of the birds and is involved in the production of white blood cells. So this is very good for strong bones in the birds and the production of big and healthy eggs.
- Vitamin C – Apples contain vitamin C which is a powerful antioxidant that helps boost the immune system of the birds. It also helps produce collagen which is good for the skin and the bones of the birds.
- Fiber – Apples contain fiber which is very good for the digestion of ducks. And it usually comes in two types. Soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber helps control the blood sugar of the birds while getting rid of terrible substances in the duck’s body. While the insoluble fiber helps to keep the digestive systems moving and in good condition.
- Calcium – Apples also contain calcium which is good for strong bones and healthy feathers for the birds. It is also good for the teeth and the beaks of the birds as it helps them feed and catch little animals better.
It also helps with important bodily functions of the birds such as regular heartbeat and respiration.
- Potassium – Apples contain potassium which is ideal for a well-functioning nervous system. It also helps to regulate muscle and heart contractions as well as prevent fever or high temperature in the birds.
Health risks for feeding apples to ducks.
If the birds consume too much sugar, they will start to gain weight and this will lead to laziness and excess sleeping birds.
Also, it might cause extreme problems such as high blood pressure and even heart attacks.
Take good care of your ducks
Conclusion On Can Ducks Eat Apples?
YES, ducks can eat apples, as long as they are properly cut into small slices to enable easy consumption. The nutritious content of the fruit is healthy for your ducks to a certain extent. You need to be really careful as they cannot eat the seeds of the apple.
This post was written by Tochukwu for Animals District.