Hi guys, do you own a pet bearded dragon? and are you wondering or asking the question “can bearded dragons eat mangoes?” well in this blog post, I would be answering that question and I would also be listing a few fruits you can feed your bearded dragons.
READ: Can Bunnies Eat Mangoes?
What Are Bearded Dragons?
Pogona is a genus of reptiles containing six lizard species which are often known by the common name bearded dragons.Wikipedia
What Are Mangoes?
A mango is an edible stone fruit produced by the tropical tree Mangifera indica which is believed to have originated in the region between northwestern Myanmar, Bangladesh, and northeastern India.Wikipedia
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Mangoes?
Yes, Bearded Dragons can eat mangoes, mangoes are rich in vitamins e.g vitamin C and Vitamin A which are beneficial to Bearded Dragons. It is also very important to know that excess consumption of mangoes can harm your Bearded Dragon since mangoes are rich in sugar.
Apart from the fact that bearded dragons gain a lot of nutrients from mangoes, it is also important to know that yes they do love eating them. They naturally love mangoes.
Mangoes can serve as a great side dish for your bearded dragons, they would love it but you should be careful not to feed them too much.
Can Baby Bearded Dragons Eat Mangoes?
Yes, they can but in tiny quantities, they shouldn’t eat a whole mango. Too many mangoes can be harmful to your baby bearded dragons.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Mango Skin (Back of Mangoes)
No, they shouldn’t eat the back/skin of mangoes. The skin/Back of mangoes does not offer any nutritional benefit to bearded dragons, please do not feed your bearded dragon mango peels/skin.
Can I feed my bearded dragon mango?
Yes, mangoes offer a large variety of nutrients and are good for bearded dragons however you feed your bearded dragons mangoes moderately. Too many mangoes can cause stomach upset.
READ: Snake Poop Images
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Mango Seeds?
No, they shouldn’t be fed mango seeds, although they have sharp and strong teeth, a mango seed would still be tough for them to chew and digest, your bearded dragon can choke on mango seeds also.
Steps In Feeding Your Bearded Dragons Mango.
- Select and pick only fresh, ripe mangoes.
- Wash mangoes skin/back properly and thoroughly.
- Cut the mangoes into tiny chewable bits (you can slice them like chips)
What Vitamins/Nutrients Do Mangoes Provide My Bearded Dragons?
Mangoes are rich in nutrients and some of the nutrients they provide your bearded dragons are
- Vitamin C (76% in 100 grams)
- Vitamin A (21% in 100 grams)
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin K
- Calories – 135g
- Fat 0.6g
Other health benefits of feeding your bearded dragons mangoes are
- Stronger Muscles– Mangoes are rich in fiber and they help build and develop stronger muscles for our bearded dragons and human in general.
- Stronger Bones: Mangoes contain a fair portion of calcium, calcium helps build the bones. so mangoes do help in strengthening the bones of humans and bearded dragons.
- Longer Life: Fruits, mangoes in particular can increase the life span of bearded dragons because of the additional vitamins that mangoes provide.
- Stronger Immune Systems
- Healthy Heart
READ: Do Beaver Eat Fish
Disadvantages of OverFeeding Mangoes To Your Bearded Dragons
In as much as mangoes provide a lot of vitamins and nutrients to bearded dragons, it is very very dangerous to feed a lot of mangoes to your bearded dragons, here are some of the disadvantages of feeding your bearded dragons too many mangoes.
- Stomach Upset: Mangoes contain too much sugar and citric acid which can cause stomach upset when consumed in much/large quantities.
- Stooling: Your bearded dragon can start stooling frequently whenever it consumes too many mangoes.
There are many other disadvantages of overfeeding your bearded dragon mangoes.
Preparation Of Mangoes for Bearded Dragons.
You can use the following guide to prepare mangoes for your Bearded Dragons.
- Select good riped, mangoes.
- Wash the mangoes with clean water.
- Peel the back of the mangoes as this part is not recommended to be given (fed) to bearded dragons.
- Dice mangoes, you can dice the mangoes in small bits or chips
- Make sure to remove the mango seed when feeding your bearded dragons.
How Often Should I Feed My Bearded Dragons Mangoes?
For Adult Bearded Dragons:
You can give an adult bearded dragon a maximum of 1 mango in a week, It shouldn’t exceed this number to reduce the risk of overfeeding.
READ: Do Beavers Eat Fish?
For Young Bearded Dragons:
You should feed a young or baby bearded dragon a maximum of one mango per week so as not to cause stomach upset for them.
What Fruits Can I Feed My Bearded Dragons?
Bearded Dragons can eat a variety of fruits, these fruits should be consumed moderately and not too much, some of the fruits your Bearded Dragons can eat include
Your Bearded Dragons Main Meals Should Consist More Of Green Vegetables!
Conclusion On Can Bearded Dragons Eat Mangoes?
From this blog post, we can say that the answer to the question “Can Bearded Dragons Eat Mangoes?” is Yes, Yes, Bearded Dragons can eat mangoes, mangoes are a great source of nutrients/vitamins for bearded dragons, however, mangoes contain a high amount of citric acid and can cause stomach upset when over-consumed.
Mangoes provide lots of nutrients and vitamins but should be fed moderately to your bearded Dragons.
This post was written by Israel for Animals District.