Hi guys, do you own a bearded pet dragon? And are you wondering or asking the question, “can bearded dragons eat blackberries?” well, in this blog post, I will be answering that question, and I will also be listing a few fruits you can feed your bearded dragons.
What Are Bearded Dragons?
Pogona is a genus of reptiles containing six lizard species which are often known by the common name bearded dragons.Wikipedia
What Are Blackberries?
The blackberry is an edible fruit produced by many species in the genus Rubus in the family Rosaceae, hybrids among these species within the subgenus Rubus, and hybrids between the subgenera Rubus and Idaeobatus.Wikipedia
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Blackberries?
Bearded Dragons can eat blackberries. Blackberries are rich in vitamins, e.g., vitamin C and Vitamin k, which are beneficial to Bearded Dragons. It is essential to know that excess consumption of blackberries can harm your Bearded Dragon since blackberries are rich in sugar and fruity acid.
Besides the fact that blackberries contain a lot of vitamins and provide a lot of nutrition to bearded dragons, it is also essential to know that bearded dragons enjoy eating blackberries.
Blackberries can serve as a great side dish for your bearded dragons, they would love it, but you should be careful not to feed them too much.
Can Baby Bearded Dragons Eat Blackberries?
They can, but they shouldn’t eat many blackberries. They should eat tiny quantities. Too many mangoes can be harmful to your baby bearded dragons.
READ: Do Cats Have Eyebrows
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Blackberry Leaves?
Bearded dragons can eat blackberry leaves in tiny quantities, but feeding them to your bearded dragons is not recommended. Blackberry leaves have little nutritional value and contain oxalates harmful to bearded dragons.
However, some people allow their bearded dragons to eat the leaves of blackberries, but vet doctors don’t recommend it.
What Nutrients Do Blackberries Contain?
Blackberries offer a variety of nutrients and vitamins to both humans and animals here are a few of the nutrients that can be found in 100g of pineapples.
- Vitamin C (21mg)
- Fiber (5.3g)
- Sugar (4.8 g)
- Iron (0.62mg)
- Potassium (162mg)
- Phosphorous (22mg)
- Calcium (29mg)
There are many more vitamins and nutrients in blackberries the above list is just a few of them.
Advantages Of Feeding Blackberries To Your Bearded Dragons (Health Benefits)
There are many health benefits of feeding blackberries to your bearded dragons; here are some of the significant health benefits of feeding blackberries to your bearded dragons.
- Stronger Muscles: Blackberries are rich in vitamins and help build and develop stronger muscles for bearded dragons and humans.
- Stronger Bones: Blackberries contain a fair portion of calcium. Calcium helps build bones. So blackberries do help in strengthening the bones of humans and bearded dragons.
- Longer Life: Fruits, in particular, can increase the life span of bearded dragons because of the additional vitamins that blackberries provide.
- Prevents Constipation: It helps to prevent constipation because of the water and fiber content.
Disadvantages of OverFeeding Blackberries To Your Bearded Dragons
In as much as blackberries provide a lot of vitamins and nutrients to bearded dragons, it is very, very dangerous to feed a lot of blackberries to your bearded dragons; here are some of the disadvantages of providing your bearded dragons with too many blackberries.
- Stomach Upset: Blackberries contain too much sugar and citric acid, which can cause stomach upset when consumed in much/large quantities.
- Stooling: Your bearded dragons can start frequently stooling whenever it consumes too many blackberries.
There are many other disadvantages of overfeeding your rabbit’s pineapples.
Preparation Of Blackberries for Bearded Dragons.
You can use the following guide to prepare blackberries for your Bearded Dragons.
- Select good riped blackberries
- Wash the blackberries with clean water.
- Remove the stems of the blackberries as this part is not recommended to be given (fed) to bearded dragons.
- Smash blackberries; you can dice the blackberries in small bits or chips (Optional)
- Make sure to remove the blackberry leaves when feeding your bearded dragons.
How Often Should I Feed My Bearded Dragons Blackberries?
For Adult Bearded Dragons:
You can feed an adult bearded dragon blackberries twice in a week, It shouldn’t exceed this number to reduce the risk of overfeeding.
For Young Bearded Dragons:
You should feed a young or baby bearded dragon blackberries once in week so as not to cause stomach upset for them.
What Fruits Can I Feed My Bearded Dragons?
Bearded Dragons can eat a variety of fruits, these fruits should be consumed moderately and not too much, some of the fruits your Bearded Dragons can eat include
Your Bearded Dragons Main Meals Should Consist More Of Green Vegetables!
Conclusion On Can Bearded Dragons Eat Blackberries?
From this blog post, we can say that the answer to the question “Can Bearded Dragons Eat Blackberries?” is Yes, Bearded Dragons can eat blackberries. Blackberries are rich in vitamins, e.g., vitamin C and Vitamin k, which are beneficial to Bearded Dragons. It is essential to know that excess consumption of blackberries can harm your Bearded Dragon since blackberries are rich in sugar and fruity acid.
Blackberries provide lots of nutrients and vitamins but should be fed moderately to your bearded Dragons.
This post was written by Israel for Animals District.